As a 7th or 8th grade student, you will have the opportunity to celebrate Mass weekly. As a high school student, you will attend Mass monthly. Our students are encouraged to assist in these celebrations as readers, sacristans, singers, and eucharistic ministers. NDA students also attend monthly adoration in our chapel and are provided time to receive the sacrament of reconciliation once in the fall and once in the spring.
Hours of service donated by the Class of 2019!
At Notre Dame Academy, all students grades 7-12 are strongly encouraged to help those in need locally, nationally, and globally. Through service, you’ll learn to draw connections between individual actions and the impact those actions have on others. All NDA students are asked to serve in ways that recognize and uplift the dignity of the human person with an emphasis on relational service inspired by Matthew 25:35-46:
- 7th and 8th grade–participate in an annual JA Day of Service during which our JA students go into the community and assist at places like soup kitchens, food pantries, and the Sisters of Notre Dame Health Center
- Freshmen–20 hours of service
- Sophomore–20 hours of service
- Junior–20 hours of service
- Senior–10 hours of service
NDA’s service trips are an opportunity for you to join your classmates in serving those outside our local area:
- Appalachia Service Trip to Harlan, Kentucky
Every December since 1989, NDA juniors and seniors have traveled to Harlan, Kentucky to provide resides of Appalachian a Christmas. Thousands of presents, dinner and a visit from Santa is provided to over 400 guests annually!
- International Service Trip
During the summer NDA girls travel internationally to serve those in poverty in whatever manner is needed. Rebuilding and repairing and revitalizing the people in the community allows our girls to give back but to also receive the joy of service and ministering in other countries with their own language and customs.
Student Eucharistic Ministers Commissioned in 2019!
Christ opens the Gospel of John with an extraordinary question; “What are you looking for?” Our class level retreats are designed to help you explore that question as it relates to community and spirituality. You will come away from each retreat having formed stronger bonds with classmates and with an enhanced spiritual perspective. The class retreat themes vary from year to year with the exception of our Junior Class, which goes on a Kairos retreat. While our retreats are founded in Catholic spiritual practices and teachings, care is taken to ensure that all of our students, regardless of their faith background, feel welcomed and engaged during their retreat experience.
- 7th and 8th grader retreat is an opportunity for you to grow as a community while recognizing the need for God in your live.
- Freshman retreat focuses on our mission as children of God and members of the NDA community. You will work with your Link Crew Leader to learn more about the fundamentals of their faith and beliefs as well as how we live out these beliefs here at NDA.
- Sophomore retreat is a bonding experience as a class in the spirit of NDA where you mix with your classmates in different ways and share your spirituality and beliefs with each other.
- Junior Kairos retreat will be one of your most powerful and memorable experiences at NDA. The three-day, two-night off campus retreat provides our young women a time to step away from the daily routine and open their hearts to God. You’ll develop your own self-awareness while deepening their relationship with God.
- Senior retreat focuses on vocations and discernment. You’ll be given the opportunity to explore their vocation and learn about making decisions within the faith.
Faith in Action Teams (FIAT)
Just like Mother Mary said, “Fiat” or “let it be done” in Latin, to the Lord’s call. Notre Dame Academy encourages all students to follow the call of the Lord and to serve their family, friends, community and the world by being spiritual leaders at Notre Dame Academy as part of one of our FIAT teams:
- The Evangelization Team helps to evangelize to their peers in day to day situations, as well as prayer and worship experiences.
- The Retreat Team helps to plan and carry out spiritually enriching retreat opportunities for the student body.
- The Worship Team helps to lead the student body in song during Mass and other prayer opportunities. Group includes both singers and musicians.
- Coming in 2020-21! The Appalachia Retreat Team plans and leads the annual service trip to Harlan, Kentucky.