At Notre Dame Academy, all students grades 7-12 are strongly encouraged to help those in need locally, nationally, and globally. We encourage you to go outside your comfort zone. Service hours must be served and an organization or non-profit and must serve other humans. Campus Ministry will often offer service project opportunities on Wednesdays before school during PCL time.
Service hour requirements are:
- 7th and 8th grade—You will participate in service projects, working together with parents and teachers who serve as role models. You will have an active role in choosing the type of service you will perform. Projects have included serving in soup kitchens, visiting the Sisters of Notre Dame Health Center, Appalachia at home and various other community-oriented projects.
- Freshmen–20 hours of service
- Sophomore–20 hours of service
- Junior–20 hours of service
- Senior–10 hours of service
NDA’s service trips are an opportunity for you to join your classmates in serving those outside our local area:
Appalachia Service Trip to Harlan, Kentucky
Every December since 1989, NDA juniors and seniors have traveled to Harlan, Kentucky to provide resides of Appalachian a Christmas. Thousands of presents, dinner and a visit from Santa is provided to over 600 guests annually!
International Service Trip
During the summer NDA girls travel internationally to serve those in poverty in whatever manner is needed. Rebuilding and repairing and revitalizing the people in the community allows our girls to give back but to also receive the joy of service and ministering in other countries with their own language and customs.
Tracking Service Hours
Service hours are tracked using the MobileServe app, which students are asked to download to their phone. Questions regarding service should be directed to Campus Ministry.