At Notre Dame Academy, as our mission states, we provide a holistic education permeated in gospel values, including the service of others. All students grades 7-12 are strongly encouraged to help those in need locally, nationally, and globally. Students were introduced to a new system in the spring of 2019 that will log and track service hours. Any questions regarding service should be directed to Co-Director of Campus Ministry, Faye Smith at email@example.com.
What’s allowed and what isn’t?
There are a few things we require for service hours to count:
- They MUST BE served at an organization or non-profit.
- They MUST serve other humans who are less fortunate than they are.
For example: The library, Heartbeat of Toledo, NDA Summer Academy and Sports camps, Migrant Ministry, Safety City.We suggest and encourage the girls to go outside their comfort zones and to do service to women and children, though it is NOT REQUIRED. The following things will not count:
- Service to animals
- Service to family members
For example: cleaning cages at the zoo, babysitting your cousins, raking leaves for your neighbor.
In order for service hours to count, the girls will need the following:
- a signature (done right on the phone!)
- an email verification from an adult supervisor
- a geo location verification (done right on the phone at the time of service)
We will now be using a system called MobileServe. We asked the girls to download the app on their phone. That way they can track their hours right there! They will not need to use there planner to track hours.
In addition to a new system, we have now changed the number of hours students will need each year. They are as follow:
- Junior academy— You will participate in service projects, working together with parents and teachers who serve as role models. You will have an active role in choosing the type of service you will perform. Projects have included serving in soup kitchens, visiting the Sisters of Notre Dame Health Center, Appalachia at home and various other community-oriented projects.